DescriptionKenansville, in the fertile coastal plain of southeastern North Carolina, was settled about 1735 by Swiss, German and Irish immigrants, who called their town Golden Grove. In 1818 Kenansville was renamed for Gen. James Kenan, a member of the House of Commons who fought in the Revolution and helped ratify the Constitution and formulate the Bill of Rights.
Many of Kenansville's old houses have been restored. There are three antebellum churches that have changed little since the 19th century; among them is 1736 Grove Church, the oldest Presbyterian congregation in the state. Brochures of Kenansville are available at the town hall on Rutledge Road; phone (910) 296-0369.
Visitor InfoDuplin County Tourism Commission 165 Agriculture Dr., Suite B KENANSVILLE, NC 28349. Phone:(910)296-2181
Things to SeeCowan Museum of History and Science