DescriptionWhen Capt. Richard King, a Rio Grande riverboat pilot, camped along the Santa Gertrudis Creek in the south Texas region known as Wild Horse Desert, he saw its potential as a cattle range. The King Ranch, which covers 825,000 acres of protected habitat, is one of the largest privately owned ranches and is recorded on the National Register as the “Birthplace of American Ranching.”
Kingsville, King Ranch Headquarters, was chartered on July 4, 1904, following development of a well-drilling system that could tap deeply buried water, and the construction of the railroad to enable King cattle to be shipped easily. The town prospered from its association with the ranch. It is known today for its agricultural and natural resources such as birding and wildlife. Texas A&M University-Kingsville and the Naval Air Station Kingsville also call the town home.
Visitor InfoKingsville Visitor Center 1501 N. Hwy. 77 KINGSVILLE, TX 78363. Phone:(361)592-8516 or (800)333-5032
Things to SeeJohn E. Conner Museum