DescriptionSettled in 1800 and designated as the county seat by 1806, Lancaster grew even faster after 1836, when the Lancaster Lateral Canal was connected with the Ohio and Erie Canal. With the coming of the railroads in the 1850s and the discovery of natural gas in 1887, the town became one of Ohio's manufacturing and distribution centers, a status it retains.
Native son Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman is honored with a statue at the intersection of Main and Broad streets on Zane Square.
Preserving the city's heritage are the early 19th-century houses on Square 13, which is bounded by N. High, Broad, Main and Wheeling streets.
Visitor InfoFairfield County Visitors and Convention Bureau 124 W. Main St. Suite 200 LANCASTER, OH 43130. Phone:(740)654-5929 or (800)626-1296Note: The visitor center is on the second floor of The Ohio Glass Museum.
Things to SeeDecorative Arts Center of Ohio