DescriptionLewistown, named in honor of Quaker legislator William Lewis, was a thriving Native American community prior to its incorporation in 1795. European immigrants later settled in the region; their traces are still visible at many local historical sites. The borough lies within a scenic region: To the east is Lewistown Narrows, a 6-mile section of land through which the Juniata River flows; the river meets the Susquehanna River some 35 miles downstream. The river offers year-round fishing, recreation and natural beauty.
The Stone Arch Bridge, curiously constructed without a keystone, was once part of the early turnpike that connected Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. The arch is off US 22/322W Lewistown exit on Jacks Creek Road. North of Lewistown is the Seven Mountain District, known for good hunting and fishing. Kishacoquillas Valley, also called the Big Valley, is 8 miles north of Lewistown on SR 655W and is home to a large Amish population. Amish and Mennonites sell produce, plants, flowers, antiques and handcrafted items in this 25-mile-long valley. Farmers markets, flea markets and livestock auctions are held June-October.
The Pennsylvania State Fire Academy is in Lewistown. Firefighters from Pennsylvania and other states attend classes throughout the year.
The original county courthouse, built in 1843, is on Monument Square and is home to the chamber of commerce and visitors bureau and the Mifflin County Historical Society. Nearby is McCoy House, the 1874 birthplace and home of soldier-statesman Maj. Gen. Frank Ross McCoy. It now houses a museum. Tours are offered Tues. 10-2, May-Sept. and other times by appointment; phone (717) 242-1022.
Visitor InfoJuniata River Valley Chamber of Commerce & Visitors Bureau One W. Market St. LEWISTOWN, PA 17044. Phone:(717)248-6713