DescriptionLocated alongside the St. Lawrence River, the city of L'Islet merged with the villages of L'Islet-sur-Mer and St-Eugène to form the current municipality in 2000. L'Islet-sur-Mer has produced seafarers for more than 3 centuries; as a result, it is known locally as la patrie des marins, meaning “the sailor's homeland.” Native Capt. J.E. Bernier took possession of the Arctic islands in the name of Canada on July 1, 1909. A plaque on Melville Island commemorates the event.
Of interest is the 1768 Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours Church (Église Notre-Dame-de-Bon-Secours) at 15 rue des Pionniers Est (Hwy. 132). The church has a wealth of decorative objects, including artwork by silversmith François Ranvoyzé and wood sculptor Médard Bourgault.
Things to SeeMaritime Museum of Québec