DescriptionLongview was founded in 1870 as a rail center for the region's timber mills and farms. In the 1930s, the discovery of oil tripled Longview's population of 6,000 and transformed the quiet East Texas agricultural community into an industrial center.
Within an hour's drive of Longview there are more than a dozen lakes, which range from 2,500 to 25,000 acres, including Caddo Lake, Lake O' the Pines and Martin Creek. These lakes, as well as the surrounding pine and hardwood forests, make Longview a popular recreational center. Anglers and canoeists also enjoy the Sabine River, on the city's doorstep.
Visitor InfoLongview Convention and Visitors Bureau 300 W. Cotton St. LONGVIEW, TX 75601. Phone:(903)753-3281
Things to SeeGregg County Historical Museum