DescriptionOnce known as Peninsula, the town of Marathon gained its name in 1944 when Marathon Paper Mills Co. began construction of a new pulp mill. The discovery of gold in 1983 and the modernization of the mill helped Marathon become a prosperous community.
Midway between Sault Ste. Marie and Thunder Bay on Lake Superior, Marathon provides a variety of indoor and outdoor recreational opportunities. Neys Provincial Park, 26 kilometres (16 mi.) west off Hwy. 17; White Lake Provincial Park, 60 kilometres (37 mi.) east off Hwy. 17; and Pukaskwa National Park, 25 kilometres (15 mi.) east via hwys. 17 and 627, offer swimming, hiking, boating, fishing and camping.
InfoOfficeMarathon Tourist Information Centre 4 Hemlo Dr./Hwy. 17 MARATHON, ON P0T 2E0. Phone:(807)229-0480 or (800)621-1029