DescriptionFounded in 1629, Marblehead flourished as a commercial fishing center and by the mid-18th century was port to hundreds of ships engaged in fishing and overseas trade. Today more than 200 houses built before the American Revolution and nearly 800 constructed during the 1800s still line the town's winding streets. The Powder House , jct. Lattimer St. at 39 Green St., was built in 1755 and is one of the few remaining from the Colonial era. Muskets and powder were stored in this round brick magazine during the French and Indian War, the American Revolution and the War of 1812. The building is not open to the public.
Views of the ocean, islands, harbor and Marblehead shoreline can be enjoyed from Crocker Park, off Front Street downtown, and Chandler Hovey Park, a nearly 4-acre site at the end of Harbor and Ocean avenues that shelters the 1896 Marblehead light tower (closed to the public).
Visitor InfoMarblehead Chamber of Commerce 62 Pleasant St. MARBLEHEAD, MA 01945. Phone:(781)631-2868
Self-guiding toursMaps of a walking tour are available Memorial Day through October 31 from the information booth on Pleasant Street.
Things to SeeAbbot Hall