DescriptionForty-eight pioneers led by Rufus Putnam arrived in Marietta during April 1788. They platted the future community, built a land office, erected a fort and chose the name Marietta in honor of Queen Marie Antoinette, in recognition of the aid rendered to the Colonies by France during the American Revolution.
In Muskingum Park is the Memorial to the Start Westward, a stone sculpture created by Mount Rushmore sculptor Gutzon Borglum to commemorate the opening of the Northwest Territory and the 150th anniversary of the Northwest Ordinance of 1787.
Marietta also serves as the southern terminus for the Covered Bridge Scenic Byway that runs through Wayne National Forest.
Visitor InfoMarietta/Washington County Convention and Visitors Bureau 119 Greene St. MARIETTA, OH 45750. Phone:(740)373-5178 or (888)861-7684
Self-guiding toursA map and brochure detailing a tour of scenic and historic points is available from the convention and visitors bureau.
Things to SeeCampus Martius Museum