DescriptionDuring the Civil War Marshall was the Confederate capital of Missouri. It seemed strange that such a quiet town would be chosen by executives of Missouri and the Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederacy as their administrative center. At that time Marshall was one of the biggest and wealthiest cities in the state, producing gun powder and ammunition for the Confederacy as well as saddles, harnesses and clothing.
On a major stagecoach route, Marshall became a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railroad in the 1870s. An original section of the old Stagecoach Road begins at the end of Poplar Street off US 59. The arrival of the railroad restored the town's fortunes—a prosperity expressed by the elegant Ginocchio Hotel built near the depot in 1896. This restored Victorian hostelry is the centerpiece of Marshall's three-block Ginocchio Historic District. At Christmas, millions of white lights decorate the downtown area in the Wonderland of Lights.
Visitor InfoMarshall Convention and Visitors Bureau 301 N. Washington St., MARSHALL, TX 75670. Phone:(903)702-7777
Self-guiding toursMaps outlining tours of historic Marshall and Harrison County are available from the convention and visitors bureau.
Things to SeeHarrison County Historical Museum