DescriptionMilledgeville looks much as it did when it was laid out as the capital of Georgia in 1803, serving in that capacity until 1868. The Old Capitol Building, built in 1807, is considered the first example of Gothic architecture utilized for a public building in the United States.
The Brown-Stetson-Sanford House, 601 W. Hancock St., is an 1825 two-story clapboard Federal house constructed by architect John Marlor. The house is open by request; phone (478) 453-1803. Also historically significant is St. Stephen's Episcopal Church on S. Wayne Street. During Gen. William Tecumseh Sherman's November 1864 occupation, his troops, who stabled their horses in the church, poured sorghum syrup down the organ pipes to prevent the organ from being used to signal Confederate sympathizers.
One notable Milledgeville resident was author Flannery O'Connor, who moved here with her family in 1938 when she was 13 and left in 1945 to attend the Iowa Writers' Workshop. She is buried in Memory Hill Cemetery (along the fence). A museum on the campus of O'Connor's alma mater, Georgia College, presents rotating exhibits in the Flannery O'Connor Room Mon.-Fri. 9-5; phone (478) 445-4391.
Guided trolley tours that include alternating stops at Rose Hill at Lockerly Arboretum, the Old Capitol Building, St. Stephens Episcopal Church and the Brown-Stetson-Sanford House depart from the convention and visitors bureau Mon.-Fri. at 10 and Sat. at 11. Trolleys run year-round except on major holidays; the fare is $12; $10 (ages 60+); $7 (students with ID); $5 (ages 5-13).
InfoOfficeMilledgeville-Baldwin County Convention and Visitors Bureau 200 W. Hancock St. MILLEDGEVILLE, GA 31061. Phone:(478)452-4687
Self-guiding toursA free walking-tour map of historic Milledgeville can be obtained from the convention and visitors bureau.
Attraction PlaceHoldersAndalusia Farm—Home of Flannery O'Connor