DescriptionAfter the purchase of a tract of land from the Mississauga people in 1806, construction began on the York Road, encouraging settlers to enter the lands west of Toronto. Milton was the first village established in the new frontier. Due to their economic bases, these early towns were called gristmill communities.
Originally called Martin's Mills, the town later adopted the name of Milton. The first meeting of the town council was held in 1857 in the building that now serves as Milton's Town Hall. Hwy. 5 follows the route of the old York Road.
The Milton Farmers' Market in downtown on Main Street operates on Saturdays, mid-May to late October.
Hiking on the parklands of the Niagara Escarpment and the Bruce Trail is a popular recreational activity. Other opportunities include horseback riding, kayaking, sailboarding, skiing and swimming. Live harness racing is held May 1 to mid-October west of town at Mohawk Raceway, 9430 Guelph Line; phone (416) 675-7223.
Note: Policies concerning admittance of children to pari-mutuel betting facilities vary. Phone for information.
InfoOfficeMilton Visitor & Community Information Services 1 Chris Hadfield Way MILTON, ON L9T 5H7. Phone:(905)875-4636
Attraction PlaceHoldersHalton County Radial Railway