DescriptionMiramichi was named for its original inhabitants, a Mi'kmaq Indian tribe that fished the Miramichi River for salmon. Acadian settlers arrived from Nova Scotia in 1757. As immigrants from Ireland, Scotland and New England followed, Miramichi gained a reputation for its shipyards, which built some of the best square-rigged ships in Canada.
Forestry replaced shipbuilding as the area's dominant industry in the late 19th century and the last commercial cannery closed in 1972, but salmon fishing continues to attract recreational anglers. Miramichi celebrates Canada's Irish Festival on The Miramichi in mid-July. It's the scene of many family reunions as people gather to hear Irish music, do a little dancing, listen to storytellers and enjoy live entertainment. The festival takes place along Water Street downtown.
Attraction PlaceHoldersBeaubears Island National Historic Site