DescriptionBefore the arrival of Spanish soldiers and priests in 1776, this area was home to the peaceful Costanoan Indians. The first English-speaking community sprang up around a prosperous estate known as Morgan Hill's Ranch in 1845 and was incorporated in 1906. Morgan Hill is at the southern end of the agriculturally rich Santa Clara Valley, where the French prune was developed.
About 14 miles east of the city via E. Dunne Avenue is Henry W. Coe State Park, its 87,000 acres encompassing varied terrain punctuated by ridges and canyons. The park has more than 250 miles of hiking trails and is home to a variety of indigenous plants and animals, including the elusive mountain lion. Within the park are the headwaters of Coyote Creek; recreational activities include camping, picnicking, fishing, mountain biking and horseback riding.
Visitor InfoMorgan Hill Chamber of Commerce 17485 Monterey Rd., Suite 105 MORGAN HILL, CA 95037. Phone:(408)779-9444