DescriptionHaving fled persecution elsewhere, Joseph Smith and his religious followers established the headquarters of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Nauvoo in 1839. Both church and settlement flourished. By 1841 a university was projected, and the foundations for a great temple were laid. The temple, still unfinished when most of the Mormons left the state in 1846, was burned by vandals in 1848; the temple was rebuilt on the same site in 2002.
In 1849 the area was occupied by French Icarians, a socialist sect that lived by the creed “from each according to his ability and to each according to his need.” Inner discord undermined the society and it was dissolved in 1858.
The Monument to Women garden, next to Historic Nauvoo Visitors Center, is a sculpture garden dedicated to women of the past, present and future. Each statue identifies a significant dimension in a woman's life.
Visitor InfoNauvoo Tourism Office 1295 Mulholland St. NAUVOO, IL 62354. Phone:(217)453-6648
Things to SeeHistoric Nauvoo Visitors Center