DescriptionWilliam Penn first set foot in North America near what is now the corner of Strand and Delaware streets. The town prospered under Penn's Quaker administration, producing two signers of the Declaration of Independence—George Read and Thomas McKean.
New Castle was a trade center until 1824 when a fire leveled the business district. Although the New Castle-Frenchtown Railroad gave New Castle new life in 1832, in the mid-19th century the main railroad lines were rerouted through Wilmington, isolating the town. New Castle's resulting seclusion has had one desirable effect: Much of its Colonial and Federal architecture remains unaltered.
The Old Library Museum, housed in a restored 1892 Victorian library designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Furness and featuring a cupola, skylight and leaded-glass doors, presents changing historic exhibits; phone (302) 322-2794. Note: The museum is currently closed for renovations. Phone for updates.
New Castle's inhabitants own a 700-acre tract of land dating from the earliest days of Dutch settlement. Administered by the Trustees of New Castle Common instead of the municipal government, its many uses yield considerable revenue for the common good of the community.
Self-guiding toursBrochures for the New Castle Heritage Trail walking tour are available at the New Castle Court House Museum and the city administration building at the corner of Third and Delaware streets across from The Green. The tour covers historic areas and buildings dating from the mid-17th century.
Things to SeeAmstel House