DescriptionOn the banks of the East River, New Glasgow is at a site marked as a large Indian village on a map by French traveler and historian Pierre François Xavier de Charlevoix. The discovery of coal in 1798 in Pictou County led to the town's founding in 1875. New Glasgow was named for the Scottish hometown of the area's first settler, James Carmichael.
The Samson Trail, 2.5 kilometres (1.5 mi.) along the New Glasgow riverfront, is named for the “Samson” locomotive. Considered to be the oldest steam locomotive in Canada, it once worked the Foord coal seam near Stellarton.
A legend lingers of three Scottish bachelors who made a trip to Halifax to seek out and marry lassies who had recently arrived by boat. Today many in the county claim to be descendants of the trio.
Visitor InfoDestination Eastern and Northumberland Shores 980 E. River Rd. NEW GLASGOW, NS B2H 3S8. Phone:(902)752-6383
Things to SeeCarmichael-Stewart House Museum