DescriptionThe area around New Iberia was settled by French Acadians who fled Nova Scotia. In 1779 they were joined by a group of Spaniards under the leadership of Lt. Col. Francisco Bouligny. The Spaniards called their settlement Nueva Iberia, and it is one of the few Spanish town names remaining in southern Louisiana. The majority of the present population is of French and Spanish descent. New Iberia was incorporated in 1839 due to the efforts of Frederic H. Duperier, a plantation owner who also donated the land on which St. Peter's Catholic Church was built.
New Iberia is on Bayou Teche, which flows through the Evangeline country and takes its name from the Native American word teche, meaning “snake.” The Teche country is known as the “Sugar Bowl of Louisiana.”
Bouligny Plaza on West Main Street honors the town's founder; the central feature of the square is a bust of Francisco Bouligny.
Visitor InfoIberia Parish Convention and Visitors Bureau 2513 SR 14 NEW IBERIA, LA 70560. Phone:(337)365-1540 or (888)942-3742
Self-guiding toursThe convention and visitors bureau offers free walking tour maps of New Iberia.
Things to SeeBayou Teche Museum