DescriptionNew Town is the agency headquarters of the Fort Berthold Indian Reservation and home to the Three Affiliated Tribes (Mandan, Hidatsa and Arikara). The town was planned by the Army Corps of Engineers and incorporated in 1952 to replace communities inundated by Lake Sakakawea. There are opportunities for boating, fishing and skiing.
Four Bears Bridge crosses the reservoir about 4 miles west of New Town on SR 23. The bridge was named after a Mandan Indian chief, but the Hidatsa and Arikara tribes had other chiefs they thought should be honored. As a result the bridge has 19 names, all listed on the span.