DescriptionSet in a deep valley flanked by high ridges, Oroville takes its name from the Spanish word for gold for good reason: A strike found near the mouth of the Similkameen River in 1861 resulted in the establishment of the boom town. The arrival of the railroad in 1914 and the construction of irrigation works eventually turned the economic focus to commercial orchards, the first of which was planted in 1858 by prospector Hiram Smith. Today most of the bounty is in the form of locally grown apples.
The Oroville district also is an emerging wine-producing region, and four wineries in town offer tastings. There are recreational facilities at nearby Osoyoos Lake Veteran's Memorial Park.
Visitor InfoOroville Visitor Welcome Center 1210 Ironwood St. OROVILLE, WA 98844. Phone:(509)476-2739 or (888)699-5659
Things to SeeOld Molson Ghost Town Museum