DescriptionOxford was built on land purchased in 1836 from a Chickasaw woman named Ho-kah. The town's founders chose the name Oxford in hopes of getting the state university established in town. The plan worked: The University of Mississippi, or Ole Miss, opened its doors in 1848. When the Civil War broke out, students fought under the name University Greys.
On the University of Mississippi campus is the Center for the Study of Southern Culture. Housed in the 1848 Barnard Observatory building, it offers changing exhibits of Southern literature, art and photography. The Ole Miss Blues Archive, a collection of blues music and memorabilia, is next door in Farley Hall.
Antebellum houses grace the town where writer William Cuthbert Faulkner resided most of his life. Renamed Jefferson, it provided the backdrop for many of his novels. Best-selling author John Grisham, who grew up in Southaven, graduated from Ole Miss law school in 1981.
Movie buffs and filmmakers come together each February for a celebration of cinema during the five-day Oxford Film Festival .
In late April, Courthouse Square is the site of the Oxford Double Decker Arts Festival , which draws throngs of revelers with live music, arts and crafts exhibits and culinary treats. Adding to the excitement is a 10k run.
InfoOfficeVisit Oxford Visitors Center 1013 Jackson Ave. OXFORD, MS 38655. Phone:(662)234-4680 or (800)758-9177
Self-guiding toursInformation about driving and walking tours can be obtained at the visitors center, 415 S. Lamar Blvd. (open Mon.-Fri. 8-5), and next door on the Square at Skipwith Cottage (open Sat. 10-4, Sun. 1-4). Phone (662) 234-4680 or (662) 232-2419, respectively.
Attraction PlaceHoldersRowan Oak