DescriptionThe first land battle of the Civil War occurred at Philippi (FIL-uh-pee) on June 3, 1861. Col. B.F. Kelley and a detachment of Federal troops from George McClellan's army surprised and routed the newly recruited Confederates under the command of Col. George Alexander Porterfield.
Spanning the Tygart River is a covered bridge that was originally built in 1852 and was used by both Confederate and Union forces during the battles. The bridge burned in 1989 but has been completely restored and is the only covered bridge still in use as a federal highway. From Fairmont to the north, the scenic portion of US 250 passes through Philippi on its 73-mile journey to Huttonsville.
Visitor InfoBarbour County Chamber of Commerce 101 College Hill Dr. PHILIPPI, WV 26416. Phone:(304)457-1958
Things to SeeAdaland Mansion and Historical Barn