DescriptionIn the northwest corner of the state, Point Roberts was named in 1792 by Capt. George Vancouver for his friend and fellow captain, Henry Roberts. The Oregon Treaty of 1846 established the international boundary at the 49th parallel, making the southern half of the point American territory. Reaching Point Roberts by road involves a 23-mile drive through British Columbia.
Boundary Marker Number 1, the last remaining original marker from an 1857-62 survey, stands in Monument Park at the west end of Roosevelt Road. Lighthouse Marine Park, on Marine Drive at the southwest end of the point, features a 600-foot boardwalk and an observation deck offering views across the Strait of Georgia to Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands; phone (360) 945-4911.