DescriptionPort Edward, on the Tsimpsean Peninsula, was named after King Edward VI. The town was founded in 1908 and incorporated in 1966.
The river of mists, as the First Nations called the Skeena River, bursts through the Coast Range and empties into the Pacific Ocean near Port Edward. The river provides the community's major commodity, fish, which is processed by local canneries. Salmon and steelhead trout, besides being economic staples, also offer a recreational challenge to anglers. Because of the area's proximity to luxuriant rain forests, mountain ranges and the river, sporting types also will find ample opportunities for canoeing, kayaking, camping, hunting and hiking.
Things to SeeNorth Pacific Cannery National Historic Site