DescriptionPatriotic fervor was hardly the reaction of Ozaukee County farmers when the governor ordered all able-bodied citizens to enroll for service during the Civil War. On Nov. 10, 1862, an angry mob stampeded Port Washington's courthouse and destroyed the draft rolls.
Lest their point of view go unacknowledged, they later seized the small cannon ordinarily used for Fourth of July celebrations and positioned it on the south bluff overlooking the harbor. The rebels were no match for government troops, however, who sailed into the harbor by night and easily subdued the small group.
Port Washington is a fishing and yachting center on Lake Michigan distinguished by many pre-Civil War buildings, including the 19th-century Judge Eghart House, 302 W. Grand Ave. On a hill overlooking the downtown area is St. Mary's Church, a much-photographed Gothic church built in 1882; phone (262) 284-4266.
The city is home to a working 1935 Art Deco-style automated beacon in the middle of the harbor. The 1860 Port Washington Historical Society Light Station Museum, 311 Johnson St., has been restored in the style of a lighthouse keeper's quarters from the 1880s; phone (262) 284-7240 for tour information.
Numerous charter boats operate from the marina during the summer and fall; fishing for trout as well as coho and chinook salmon is popular all year. Festivals and free concerts occur throughout the summer in parks along the lake.
Visitor InfoPort Washington Tourism & Chamber of Commerce 126 E. Grand Ave. PORT WASHINGTON, WI 53074. Phone:(262)284-0900 or (800)719-4881
Self-guiding toursMaps of the historic district for self-guiding walking tours are available at the chamber of commerce and visitor center.