DescriptionFertile, rolling hills perfect for the cultivation of wheat led to the settlement of Pullman, originally known as Three Forks because of its location at the confluence of three streams. The town was renamed in 1884 in honor of railroad sleeping car manufacturer George Pullman, in what turned out to be a futile attempt to attract an endowment. In 1890, when state officials visited Pullman while scouting out a site for the state's new land grant college, residents dressed in their Sunday best and congregated on the main street to create an air of prosperity and civic bustle. The ploy worked, and Washington Agricultural College opened its doors in 1892.
The Bill Chipman Palouse Trail is a 7-mile paved path following SR 270 between Pullman and Moscow, Ind. Interpretive panels depict area geology, settlement and agriculture. Lawson Gardens, 705 Derby St., offers paved and gravel paths that loop through a sloping site featuring seasonal plantings of annuals, a reflecting pond, a perennial garden and a rose garden with more than 600 rose bushes.
Visitor InfoPullman Chamber of Commerce 415 N. Grand Ave. PULLMAN, WA 99163. Phone:(509)334-3565 or (800)365-6948
Things to SeeLower Granite Lock and Dam