DescriptionEstablished in 1828, the agricultural town of Quincy owed its early prosperity to the tobacco industry. The Quincy State Bank eventually persuaded its patrons to invest in the fledgling Coca-Cola Co., resulting in economic fortune for both the town and its citizens.
Soldiers from the battles of Natural Bridge and Olustee were treated in Quincy, a medical center during the Civil War. The town also served as a supply commissary for the Confederate Army. In 1868 a fire destroyed more than half the town, leading to an ordinance requiring that all new buildings be constructed of brick.
The 36-block historic district features landscaping, period lighting and Victorian-style buildings. Most structures were built in the late 1880s, although several houses date back to the 1840s.
Visitor InfoGadsden County Chamber of Commerce 208 N. Adams St. QUINCY, FL 32351. Phone:(850)627-9231
Self-guiding toursA brochure outlining a tour of the historic district is available from the chamber of commerce.