DescriptionRipon began as an experiment in communal living called Ceresco, established in 1844 by 200 followers of the 19th-century socialist philosopher Charles Fourier. On the west edge of town stands one of the longhouses of the commune, which disbanded in 1851.
The Republican Party was founded in Ripon in 1854 at a local political meeting, which was called to organize against the extension of slavery. Alvan E. Bovay, a local lawyer and prominent Whig, proposed the party name. Four months later the name “Republican” was formally adopted at a state party convention in Jackson, Mich.
Ripon College, established in 1851, occupies a 250-acre campus on the highest hill in the city. A highlight of the college is C.J. Rodman Center for the Arts, with two Anthony Van Dyck portraits and changing exhibits. A mix of theater, dance and music performances are offered September through May; phone (920) 748-8791. Free guided tours of the campus can be arranged; phone (800) 947-4766.
Visitor InfoRipon Area Chamber of Commerce 114 Scott St. RIPON, WI 54971. Phone:(920)748-6764
Self-guiding toursBrochures outlining walking tours of the city are available from the chamber of commerce.
Things to SeeLarson's Famous Clydesdales