DescriptionFort Lewis was built near present-day Salem in 1752 to protect area settlers. The town was chartered in 1802 upon land previously owned by the son of Gen. Andrew Lewis, the fort's namesake. Roanoke College, then a Lutheran men's school, moved to Salem in 1847. After the Civil War, the growing town marketed itself as the “Switzerland of the South.” A major blizzard devastated the local economy in 1890.
Visitor InfoCity of Salem Visitor's Center 1001 Roanoke Blvd. SALEM, VA 24153. Phone:(540)375-4044 or (888)827-2536
Things to SeeDixie Caverns