DescriptionSanto Domingo received its name in 1691 when missionaries began renaming New Mexican pueblos for Catholic saints. Keresan people had inhabited the site since the 1200s. The pueblo's actual location has changed over the years with flooding of the Rio Grande. The town of Domingo became a stopover on the way to Peña Blanca during Spanish colonial times; it later served as a stage stop on the road between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The 1883 Santo Domingo Trading Post is one of the largest in the area.
Things to SeeSanto Domingo Pueblo