DescriptionThe town of Sapulpa was named for Sepulcher, a Creek Indian whose unlikely name evolved over time, thanks to misspellings and mispronunciations, into “Sapuipa.” He established a trading post one mile south of the present city around 1850, and in 1886 the Atlantic & Pacific Railroad extended its line from Red Fork to this area and called it Sapulpa Station.
After the 1905 Glen Pool oil discovery 8 miles to the southeast, Sapulpa grew into a city that served the oil industry. The town then developed into an agricultural shipping center and now is supported by glass plants and several small pipe and steel manufacturing plants.
Visitor InfoSapulpa Chamber of Commerce 101 E. Dewey Ave. SAPULPA, OK 74066. Phone:(918)224-0170
Things to SeeSapulpa Historical Society Museum