DescriptionSchuylerville, originally a Native American camping ground, was settled by French refugees in 1688 and named Saratoga. In 1831 it was renamed Schuylerville after Revolutionary War general Philip Schuyler.
The turning point of the Revolutionary War took place in Schuylerville in 1777; the British army was trapped after retreating from the Battle of Saratoga. The field of grounded arms is in the area. The Saratoga Monument commemorates British general John Burgoyne's surrender.