DescriptionSelkirk's name honors Lord Selkirk, the Scottish philanthropist whose 1812 settlement in the Red River Valley to the south laid the foundation for Winnipeg. During the late 19th- and early 20th centuries, Selkirk's position on the Red River made it a base for commerce and communication with communities on Lake Winnipeg. The Manitoba Marine Museum, at the entrance to Selkirk Park, harbours five of the original lake boats.
Chuck the Channel Catfish, a 9-metre (30-ft.) fiberglass statue, greets visitors on Main Street. The oversize catfish is an apt representation of the live version: Catfish weighing more than 9 kilograms (20 lbs.) abound in the Red River between Selkirk and Lockport.
St. Peter's Dynevor Church, 6.5 kilometres (4 mi.) northeast off Hwy. 59, was built in 1853. The original church, erected in 1836, was the center for Anglican missionary work among the Saulteaux First Nation.
Visitor InfoSelkirk Biz 200 Eaton Ave. SELKIRK, MB R1A 0W6. Phone:(204)482-7176
Things to SeeLower Fort Garry National Historic Site