DescriptionOf Mi'kmaq origin, the word Shippagan means “passageway for ducks.” The town, at the northeastern tip of the Acadian Peninsula, was the site of a Jesuit settlement from 1634 to 1662. During that time Nicholas Denys established a trading post that brought Acadian fishermen to the area. A commercial fishing center, Shippagan is also surrounded by vast bogs that yield a major harvest of peat moss.
Visitor InfoMunicipality of Shippagan 200, avenue de Ville Hotel SHIPPAGAN, NB E8S 1M1. Phone:(506)336-3900
Things to SeeNew Brunswick Aquarium and Marine Centre