DescriptionSouth Amana and West Amana were established in 1856, a year after the Community of True Inspiration settlers arrived in Iowa. The first three villages stood on the outside perimeter of the communal property; later settlements were distributed more evenly so that members could farm the land. South Amana is known for its abundance of brick buildings, including a brick granary and chicken house. An 1860s ox barn used for colony farming is at 505 P St.
Things to SeeThe Barn Museum