DescriptionSt-Jean-sur-Richelieu, once a terminus of the first railway in Canada, opened traffic between St-Jean and La Prairie in 1836.
A boulder on rue Champlain beside the Richelieu River marks the site of Fort St-Jean, which played a crucial role in the 1775 American invasion of Canada. Also alongside the Richelieu River, the Chambly Canal was built in the mid-1800s to bypass the river's rapids. No longer a waterway for forest products, the 19-kilometre-long (12-mi.) canal connecting to Chambly now accommodates pleasure craft, and the towpath accommodates bikers and pedestrians. The lock operates daily from May to October.
Specialty items, produce and other items are available at the St-Jean Public Market (Marché public du Vieux St-Jean), held Wednesdays and Saturdays at 182 rue Jacques-Cartier Sud.
InfoOfficeHaut-Richelieu Tourism Bureau 31 rue Frontenac ST-JEAN-SUR-RICHELIEU, QC J3B 7X2. Phone:(450)542-9090 or (888)781-9999
Attraction PlaceHoldersMuseum of Haut-Richelieu