DescriptionSt. Peter grew around the historic Episcopal Church at 118 N. Minnesota Ave. (US 169), built in 1857 on land donated by town founder Capt. William Dodd. The original stained-glass windows transported by oxcart and steamboat from New York are still intact.
The E. St. Julien Cox House, 500 N. Washington Ave. at Skaro Street, was built in 1871 by St. Peter's first mayor, Judge Cox, who was also a state senator. The restored Carpenter Gothic-Italianate house is furnished in period. Tours are offered by appointment; phone the Nicollet County Historical Society at (507) 934-2160.
Gustavus Adolphus College, 800 W. College Ave., was established in 1876 and named for the Swedish king. The Nobel Hall of Science, on campus in front of Nobel Hall, contains the Nobel Gallery, dedicated to inventor and humanitarian Alfred B. Nobel and the coveted prizes that bear his name. The Nobel Foundation meets at the college in early October each year, bringing together attendees with scholars and researchers from around the world for conversations about literature, the sciences, economics and peace.
Linnaeus Arboretum is on the western edge of the campus. It offers seasonal gardens; acres of prairie, woodland and pond habitats; and miles of trails for walking, hiking and skiing. It's open to visitors year-round during daylight hours.
Visitor InfoSt. Peter Area Chamber of Commerce 101 S. Front St. ST. PETER, MN 56082. Phone:(507)934-3400 or (800)473-3404
Things to SeeTreaty Site History Center