DescriptionSt. Peter's, named San Pedro by its Portuguese founders, was a fishing base 1521-27. In the next century Nicholas Denys developed the area's fishing grounds and timber resources and established a fur-trading post protected by a fort. Successively renamed St. Pierre and Port Toulouse, the port remained a French stronghold until 1745, when the British plundered the community and burned four schooners at anchor.
The French returned and undertook the enormous task of building a road from the post to Louisbourg. This connection proved fatal, however, and Port Toulouse tumbled with the final fall of Louisbourg in 1758. Renamed St. Peter's, the town boasted Fort Granville, built in 1793 under the leadership of Lieutenant Colonel Moore. The remains of Fort Granville's ramparts still are visible at Battery Provincial Park.
The Mi'kmaq Indians once carried their canoes across the St. Peter's Canal on Hwy. 4. An interpretive exhibit explains the operation of the tidal lock system. The canal area, now a national historic site, is a popular spot for picnicking, fishing and watching vessels pass between the Atlantic Ocean and Bras d'Or Lake.
The Acadian Pioneers' Museum, 8 kilometres (5 mi.) west in River Bourgeois, presents exhibits that depict Acadian customs and shipbuilding 1870-1930.
Things to SeeNicolas Denys Museum