DescriptionSettled by New Englanders in 1665, Stony Brook developed into a prosperous farming community whose economy was supplemented in the early 1800s by shipping and shipbuilding.
In 1940 Ward Melville sponsored the rehabilitation of Stony Brook's Main Street. The crescent-shaped shopping center was designed around a Federal-style post office overlooking a 2-acre village green on Stony Brook Harbor. Atop the building a mechanical, carved wooden eagle flaps its wings on the hour.
Self-guiding toursFree brochures outlining a walking tour of Stony Brook's historic district are available in the shops at the Stony Brook Village Center on Main Street (on the harbor) or by contacting the Ward Melville Heritage Organization, P.O. Box 572, Stony Brook, NY 11790; phone (631) 751-2244.
Attraction PlaceHoldersDiscovery Wetlands Cruise