DescriptionIn 1605 Capt. George Weymouth planted a cross on Allen's Island, off the mouth of the St. Georges River, making the first known claim of possession by an Englishman on New England soil. In 1630 a post for trading with the Native Americans was established, and in 1736 settlers founded what is now Thomaston.
Village life soon centered on the busy harbor where some of America's finest sailing ships were built. Lime, quarried locally, was an important export. Boatbuilding, fishing, lobstering and clamming are still significant local industries. Many fine Colonial houses stand throughout the town.
Things to SeeThe General Henry Knox Museum/Montpelier