DescriptionThomasville was spared most of the ravages of the Civil War. Afterward, railroad lines were repaired and Northerners soon were traveling south to enjoy the mild winter climate of the high pinelands; it was believed that the pine-scented air was of therapeutic value. By the 1880s Thomasville had become a popular winter resort with some of the country's finest hotels.
The winter residents brought money to this small town and left behind community improvements and a collection of shooting plantations, as they called their mansions. The Lapham-Patterson House, at 626 N. Dawson St., is a restored, asymmetrical 1885 Victorian home where each room is a different shape with none square. Built by prosperous merchant C.W. Lapham, the house featured a gas lighting system, indoor plumbing with hot and cold running water, modern closets, a cantilevered balcony and an unusual double-flue chimney with a walk-through stairway, all state of the art for the time. Phone (229) 226-7664.
Perhaps Thomasville's oldest resident is Big Oak, on the corner of E. Monroe and N. Crawford streets. Dating from the late 17th century, the tree is 68 feet high, with a trunk circumference of 26 feet and a limb spread of 165 feet.
For three days in late April, the Rose Show and Festival at the Exchange Club Fairgrounds includes a juried rose show, the Rose Parade on Broad Street, a street dance, museum tours and an arts and crafts fair. Downtown's Victorian Christmas Festival features twinkling lights, a live nativity, costumed carolers and dancers, carriage rides, jolly St. Nick and real snow in the Winter Wonderland.
InfoOfficeThomasville Visitors Center 144 E. Jackson St. THOMASVILLE, GA 31792. Phone:(229)228-7977 or (866)577-3600
Self-guiding toursVisitor guides that include details about walking/driving tours of Thomasville’s historic districts are available at the visitor center.
Attraction PlaceHoldersBirdsong Nature Center