DescriptionTignish was founded in 1799 by eight Acadian families who came by open boat from Malpeque. Twelve years later they were joined by Irish settlers. The community's first priest noted that the blending of French and English language and culture did not go easily at first, though the two groups eventually forged a peaceful coexistence.
A convent was built in 1868 for the sisters of the Congregation de Notre Dame, who came from Montréal to teach. The private girls' school was opened to the public 50 years later and continued to serve as an educational facility until 1966. Scholars debate about the origin of the town's name, attributing it to both Mi'kmaq and Irish sources.
Things to SeeSt. Simon and St. Jude Catholic Church