DescriptionA former fishing port and summer resort, Tokeland is perched on Toke Point, a 3-mile-long sand spit named for an Native American chief renowned for his skills as a canoeist and guide. The town's weatherworn Tokeland Hotel dates back to 1885. Cape Shoalwater, 4 miles west, marks the northern entrance to Willapa Bay, first charted by Capt. John Meares in 1788. The cape, also known as Washaway Beach, is prone to erosion, and since the early 1900s sections of the highway, farms and the original lighthouse have been lost to the waves. The present lighthouse was moved to higher ground in 1952.