DescriptionTuba City was named after Tuve, a Hopi leader. Natural springs attracted generations of Hopi, Navajo and Paiute Indians to the area. In 1875 the city was laid out and settled by Mormons, who used blocks of dressed stone from nearby prehistoric sites to build structures, some of which still stand.
The town lies on US 160, 10 miles east of US 89 within Arizona's northeastern Native American country, which encompasses the Navajo and Hopi Indian reservations. A variety of Native American crafts are produced in the area, including baskets, pottery and silver products.