iStockphoto.com / EuToch
Although Gaspar de Portolá reached what is now Ventura County in 1769, it was 13 years before a mission was founded. Father Junípero Serra established Mission San Buenaventura, his last mission, in 1782. After the secularization of the mission's lands in 1834, adobe houses were built near the mission site by Spanish and Mexican settlers. By the 1860s Americans and Europeans began arriving, and by the time the railroad arrived in 1887, San Buenaventura—by now shortened to just Ventura—was a prosperous community of houses, stores, industries, a school and churches.
iStockphoto.com / InterestingLightLoccode:
iStockphoto.com / roc8jasLoccode:
Ventura Visitors & Convention Bureau 101 S. California St. VENTURA, CA 93001. Phone:(805)648-2075 or (800)333-2989
Downtown Ventura offers a plethora of art galleries, antiques stores, boutiques and historic sites and museums. Pacific View Mall, 3301 E. Main St., contains JCPenney, Macy's and Sears among its 150 establishments. Ventura Harbor Village, on Spinnaker Drive about one-half mile west of Harbor Boulevard, offers forty-plus specialty shops and eateries, as well as a carousel and free entertainment on the weekends.
Channel Islands National Park Visitor Centersee Channel Islands National Park.
Fillmore & Western Railwaysee Fillmore.