DescriptionThe banks of the Vermilion River were first settled by the Ottawa Indians, who found that the clay soil made a bright and durable red paint. In 1808 pioneers moved in and established homesteads, and soon a thriving harbor town was born.
The Farmer's Exchange Park, Liberty Avenue and Main Street, provides scenic views of the river. Main Street Beach overlooks Lake Erie. A section of Vermilion's old downtown area, Harbour Town, encompasses restored houses, the Town Hall, the 1883 Opera House, the Old School House and shops.
The Clarence S. Metcalf Great Lakes Maritime Research Library at 480 Main St. is open by appointment; phone (440) 967-3467.
Self-guiding toursInformation about tours of Harbour Town is available from Friends of Harbour Town 1837, Old Jib's Corner, 5741 Liberty Ave., Vermilion, OH 44089; phone (440) 967-4262.