DescriptionFrench explorers named this area Ouabache after a Potawatomi Indian word for “white,” the shimmering color of the Wabash River. Light radiating from the courthouse dome on March 31, 1880, reputedly made Wabash the first electrically lighted city in the world. One of the first electric lights is displayed in the courthouse lobby. Several other period buildings and houses in Wabash's historic district reflect the city's development, first as a port on the Wabash and Erie Canal and later as a manufacturing center on the edge of the Indiana gas belt.
Honeywell Center, 275 W. Market St., was built in the 1940s by Wabash native Mark C. Honeywell, co-founder of Honeywell Inc. A 1994 addition to the center includes Ford Theater, Clark Art Gallery, Garver Sculpture Plaza and a partial replica of Mr. Honeywell's 1930s yacht, the Olivette. For information phone (260) 563-1102.
Paradise Spring Historical Park/Riverwalk, east of downtown between Market, Canal and Huntington streets, preserves the site of an 1826 peace treaty between the U.S. government and the Potawatomi and Miami Indians. The historical park features cabins built to represent a 19th-century military post. Host to a variety of festivals and special events throughout the year, the park features a 1-mile walking and jogging loop overlooking the Wabash River; phone (260) 563-4171.
Visitor InfoWabash County Convention and Visitors Bureau 221 S. Miami St. WABASH, IN 46992. Phone:(260)563-7171 or (800)563-1169
Things to SeeDr. James Ford Historic Home