DescriptionThe 43.5-kilometre (27-mi.) Welland Canal, which crosses the Niagara Peninsula about 13 kilometres (8 mi.) west of Niagara Falls, provides passage for cargo ships between lakes Erie and Ontario. Completed in 1829, the first canal required 40 locks to close the difference between the two lakes. Successive canals were built in the 1840s and 1880s. In 1932 a new canal using “twin locks” was completed, almost 3 decades after the idea was conceived.
Visitors driving Queen Elizabeth Way (QEW) from Buffalo to Toronto can view the Twin Flight Locks by taking the Thorold Stone Road exit west to the Thorold tunnel; from the tunnel take the Pine Street exit and follow signs. There is parking at all of the locks and an information facility at Lock 3.
The Welland Recreational Waterway runs through the heart of the city. Water skiing, rowing, canoeing and boating contests are held during the summer. Merritt Island is a popular land recreation area sandwiched between the waterway and the Welland River.
Throughout the year an ongoing attraction is provided by 28 giant murals on downtown buildings. Created by noted artists, the murals depict historical episodes. A parade, a rose show and a series of events in June comprise the Rose Festival. Welland is the site of the Niagara Regional Exhibition, a major agricultural event held in mid-September.
Visitor InfoWelland/Pelham Chamber of Commerce 32 E. Main St. WELLAND, ON L3B 3W3. Phone:(905)732-7515
Things to SeeWelland Museum