DescriptionCenter of the Fort Apache Reservation fishing, camping and recreation area, Whiteriver also is the administrative headquarters of the 1,664,874-acre reservation. Four miles south is Fort Apache, an active scout post during the Indian Wars. The fort remained a military post until the early 1920s and is now the site of the Theodore Roosevelt Indian School.
Seven miles west of town via a dirt road are the Kinishba Ruins, a partially restored Pueblo village inhabited 1050-1350; phone (928) 338-4625 to confirm road and weather conditions. Visitors are welcome at both the Alchesay National Fish Hatchery, (928) 338-4901, 4.3 miles north via SR 73, and the Williams Creek Hatchery, (928) 334-2346, 8 miles n. via SR 73 following signs.