DescriptionWindsor's beginnings date from 1717, when a plantation named Rosefield was established on 2,810 acres near the Cashie River. The possibilities of river transportation and the plantation's proximity to a road between Edenton and Halifax inspired landowner William Gray to give 100 acres for a new town. In 1773, a bill was passed moving the county seat from Wolfenden, or Hoggard's Mill, to Windsor. The town's streets still bear their old English names.
The Roanoke River National Wildlife Refuge, off US 17N, is a temporary home to nearly 200 species of migrating birds and has informal trail systems available to the public; phone (252) 794-3808.
Visitor InfoWindsor-Bertie County Chamber of Commerce 121 Granville St. WINDSOR, NC 27983. Phone:(252)794-4277
Things to SeeHistoric Hope Plantation